From our experience, we believe in the involvement of a paint consultant in an early stage making sure that all parties are aware of the specification and project requirements and quality is obtained throughout the process.
The purpose of coating inspection is to control and verify if the quality of the surface preparation and fairing / coating application work is in accordance with the agreed specified parameters, report findings and assist with any queries raised by the client and different parties involved.
During our inspection we will typically involve the following steps:
- A review of the project specification
- A review of the Inspection and Test Plan
- Examination of surface preparation and paint, coating application requirements; surface profile, cleanliness, film thickness.
- A detailed inspection report is produced for the client, highlighting deviations of the specification requirements and recommendations for improvements.
- Our tests include rust grade analysis, blast profile inspection, pull-off tests, climatic conditions, wet film and dry film thickness, filler hardness and gloss measuring among others.
There are many stage inspection points during a job. We will check for example the following;
- Assessment of the substrate
- Surface profile after blasting or grinding
- Surface cleanliness
- Dust amount
- Climatic conditions
- Coating thickness
- Shore D hardness
- Gloss level